Jonas Austen (Austin), with his wife Constance Robinson and four children, emigrated to New England with a number of other Tenterden families in 1634 in search of religious freedom on the ship Hercules. He was the son of Gerves Austen and Mary Bassocke and grandson of Stephen of Staplehurst. A relative, John Austen, perhaps a brother, was Mayor of Tenterden at the time. He settled at Taunton, Plymouth, MA.
Descendants of Austen Stephen. (For descendants of Jonas and Constance go to:)
Stephen Austen, married Margaret Wrigley in Statplehurst, Elisabeth Bassocke in Staplehurst.
He had 7 children :
B.1 : William Austen, was christened in Staplehurst the 19 November 1544, died in Staplehurst the 1 January 1545.
B.2 :Katherin Austen, was christened in Staplehurst the 16 May 1546.
B.3 :Richard Austen, was christened in Staplehurst the 28 February 1547.
B.4 :Edward Austen, was christened in Staplehurst the 21 February 1550.
B.5 :Joanne Austen, was christened in Staplehurst the 1 January 1552.
B.6 :Gerves Austen, was christened in Staplehurst the 16 July 1554, died in Staplehurst the 12 May 1610, married Mary Bassocke, the 26 October 1584 in Staplehurst (died the 12 May 1910).
He had 12 children :
C.6.1 : George Austen.
C.6.2 : Mary Austen, was christened the 29 August 1585.
C.6.3 : Stephen Austen, was christened in Staplehurst the 26 February 1586.
C.6.4 : Cateryn Austen, was christened in Staplehurst the 6 April 1589, died in Staplehurst the 9 April 1589.
C.6.5 : Marye Austen, was christened the 5 April 1590.
C.6.6 : Tearsye Austen, was christened in Staplehurst the 13 February 1591, died the 16 February 1591.
C.6.7 : Denys Austen, was christened the 13 February 1591.
C.6.8 : John Austen, was christened the 15 August 1596.
C.6.9 : Jonas Austen, was christened in Staplehurst the 3 December 1598, married Constance Robinson, the 22 January 1626 in Tenterden.
He had 4 children :
D.6.9.1 : Susanne Austen, married Joseph Kent.
D.6.9.2 : Marie Austen, was christened in Tenterden the 24 August 1628, died in (?) in 1629.
D.6.9.3 : Jonas Austen, was christened in Tenterden the 28 February 1629, married Esther Read.
D.6.9.4 : Mary Austen, was christened in Tenterden the 5 August 1632, married Thomas Lincoln in Hingham, Massachusetts.
C.6.10 : Isbell Austen, was christened in Staplehurst the 3 December 1598.
C.6.11 : Sewsan Austen, was christened in Staplehurst the 4 July 1605.
C.6.12 : Mildred Austen, was christened in Staplehurst the 2 August 1607.
B.7 :Margery Austen, was christened the 26 March 1557.
Jonas Austen (Austin), son of Jarvis and Mary (Bassock) Austin, was baptized at Staplehurst (about 8 miles North West of Tenterden) in 1598 and married Constance Robinson at Tenterden in 1627. Nathaniel Tilden was a close friend of Tilden, both families were well established in that region of Kent. He was a witness to a will in 1625 for William Robinson (Constance Robinson's first husband) and was witness to Willyam Austen will proved 20 June 1617.
In the Austin family genealogy, I found an exciting clue: Jonas Austen's aunt Joan/Joane/Johan Austin married Henry Harris in Staplehurst.
“Henry Harris and Johan (Joane) Austin * “yonge ffolke” married 25 October 1579". 1
*"Young folk" most likely means young, therefore lacking money, household goods and probably a house. Elizabethans at age 12 had to be under a householder's guidance by law, therefore a 12-year-old living with his/her parents in the parental home would be called a servant. He/she would probably be apprenticed to someone else to learn a trade/housekeeping etc. Servants were not encouraged to marry. In the country many men waited to marry until their father died, and the family farm came to them. In Kent they had partible inheritance, called "gavelkind", so that the children of a family would automatically share all, unless father had made a will, in which case his written wishes prevailed, and he might very well keep the farm intact for one son. Usual age of marriage in the Tudor period was about 28 for men, 25 for women. However Staplehurst and surrounding weaving towns were boom-towns where it was stated that a child of 5 could earn his/her own living by carding or spinning wool etc., and earlier marriage was possible, especially if there was a child on the way.
Austen families from Thanet, Kent, UK
- John married Elizabeth in Ramsgate, c1780
- John Austen married Mary Philpot of Ramsgate in 1788
- Edward Austen b 1786 and Rebecca Lawson
- Abraham Austen, b c1776, of Stourmouth married Elizabeth Standen
- Benjamin Austen b1774, married Jane Laming in Margate
- James Austen b 1761 married Susannah Belsey in Ramsgate
- Nathaniel Austen b 1675, and Mary Tickner of Ramsgate
- Thomas Austen b 1785 of Sarre
- Thomas Austen b 1810, married Mary Ann Sergeant in Ramsgate
Austen families of East and South Kent
- John Austen of Northbourne, Kent. 1575 - 1624
- William Austen (b c1813) and Alice Jenner
- Richard Austen and Ann Longley at Lydd, 1797
- Robert Austen (b 1772) and Sarah of Dymchurch
- Robert Austen of Wickambreaux m Elizabeth, 1504
- John Austen, b 1767, m Sarah Baker of Rochester & Ashford
- James Austen, b 1727, and Elizabeth Pierce of Goodnestone
- Robert Austen m Elizabeth Ashby, Hythe 1763
- Thomas Austen (b 1806) and Winifred Wyles from Dover
- William and Richard Austen of Monks Horton, 1800
- John Austen b 1691, Chillenden, m Ann Naylor
Austen families from West Kent
- William and Elizabeth Austen of Heronden, Tenterden
- Edward Austen & Elizabeth Vane, m 1711
- Thomas Austen m Anne Button
- Thomas Austen of Yalding, b c 1730.
- Thomas Austen (b 1748) m Mary Randalls of West Farleigh
- Richard Austen b 1544, Tenterden and Elizabeth Kenworthy
- William Austen and Catherine Edwards of Cowden
- William and Sarah, Sevenoaks, c 1800
- John and Hannah Austen of Benenden, b c 1766
- Thomas Austen b 1815 in Tenterden and Sarah Wightwick
- Ambrose Austen of Marden Kent >
- Jonas Austen (b1598) and Constance Robinson of Staplehurst
- John Austen of Goudhurst m Joan Berry, 1584
- George Austen (b 1823) married Sarah Hammond
- David (b c1670) & Ann Austen of Hawkhurst
- John Austen of Staplehurst (1700s)
Austen families from Sussex
- James Austen and Sarah Clout of Frant, c 1659
- Richard Austen, 1750 and Elizabeth Forster of Walberton
- Henry Austen of Barcombe m Lucy Adams in 1806
- Thomas b 1770 and Mary Austen
- Edward and Anne Austen of Burwash, c 1700
- William Austen m Mary Payne of Ticehurst, 1778
- Richard & Margaret Austen of East Grinstead, 1694
- Austen families from Surrey >
- Austen families from Suffolk >
- Austen families from Thanet, Kent, UK >
- Ernie Austen, 1924 Olympian
- Colin, Cecil and Geoff Austen, Australian Rules footballers
- Jane Austen's sailor brothers, Francis, Charles
- John Archibald Austen, illustrator
- Peter Townsend Austen
- Sir Robert Austen of Bexley
- Frank Henry Austen, radio relay pioneer of Thanet
- Edward Austen, painter
- Sir Robert Austen, 1697 - 1743
- Ralph Austen
- Alice Austen, photographer
- Staffordshire >
- Kent >
- Herefordshire >
- John and Elizabeth Austin of Grays Thurrock
- John and Ann Austin of Hartley, Kent and Thomas Austin and Rachell Sudell of Chatham
- Thomas and Elizabeth Austin of London
- John Austen m Elizabeth Purvy, c 1700
- John Austin & Eleanor Vine
- John, Ann and Barbara Austin of Pevensey and USA
- Looking for:
- New Page